A Spirit of Love

We stood in the line for the wristbands that would let us in. I gazed at it, the ropes course that hung way out over the canyon, and heard the battle cry of the Spirit that wars against the flesh:

"You've gotta do it!"

I hate heights. At least that's what I say, though He'd like to say otherwise. So I climbed the steps and shook my head. No, I told Him, flat out. I won't. But then I got up to the second level and the siblings cajoled and suddenly I was stepping out on a loose rope over a forty-foot drop, clinging for dear life to the harness I was clipped to.

By some miracle, I did it twice, hearing the whisper across my heart:

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:7)

The Spirit that lives in me is not one that fears--He is One that loves. And perfect Love casts out fear. So--lovingly--He invites me over canyons and out of fear and into dark and dangerous places because Love is what lights the dark and gives us rest. Love is the One Who lives in me and calls me higher.

So in my weak and wrestling hard, I will follow.

Comments

Popular Posts