God, Birds, and Chronophobia

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31 (ESV)

I agonized over the title for this blog. Wanting to speak from the perspective of a high schooler on the brink of real life, I googled "fear of the future" for ideas. That gives you an idea of where this is going. 

The first result was chronophobia--fear of time. My brother, who sat near by, believed I had found the winning title. I was less convinced. Still, if I'm honest, perhaps the average high schooler does suffer from a little chronophobia, in a sense. Time is often a friend and an enemy, pushing us toward the rest of our lives and asking what we are going to do with them.

When I was little, adulthood seemed like this far-off dream that would never be realized. Now, at sixteen, I am suddenly presented with such grown-up novelties as college, driving, and getting a job. Though I am thrilled to finally be here, this far-off dream is starting to seem a little more daunting. I still don't have a driver's licence, a job, or a solid career choice. Honestly, I saw this chapter just falling into place. I figured I'd go to college for...something, meet a nice guy, and he'd make the money and the decisions and I'd make the home. (Yeah...maybe I've watched too many Disney movies.) I didn't think too hard about, you know, actually, day by day, living this stuff.

The point is, even if you aren't a chronophobe, the future can be scary sometimes. Which, I think, is why God brought me to the name "On Sparrow's Wings." Though it wasn't my first choice, a whisper in my heart said, "That's your title." When every other domain name that I wanted was unavailable, I decided to go with it.

Truly, it's probably the most fitting theme and I'm glad God led me to it. Sparrows are helpless, hardly noticeable, yet God takes the time to plan each of their lives.  Jesus Himself said we are much more valuable than they are, so God must be taking the utmost care to plan our lives! Not a day goes by that He does not work His will in our lives. Even when the days feel uncertain, we can trust that God has a plan and that He loves us. When we believe those truths, we can rest--and even soar!--even through uncertain days.

I'm still far from grasping this truth. I wrestle with it every day. But even in that, God is working. So here's to His love, His sovereignty, and to the messy business of growing up!

Comments

  1. My daughter is now a blogger! That is so COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is now a blogger! That is so COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The messy and BEAUTIFUL business of growing up!
    Brava Jessi!
    Sono orgogliosa di te!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I didn't realize how long you have been blogging for!
    That's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops the website didn't put my name with this. . .it's just Delaney.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts