Love Has Come: A Promise for the Ladies Waiting

Dear Girl,

I heard you proclaim it like a promise that day:

"Love will come."

And every lady's heart in the room swelled with something like hope, holding onto your words like we hold a deep breath. That's what we long for, after all. Love, coming for us, setting us free from our prisons of singleness.

We women, we have it all planned, from our girlhood. We are born with mental movie screens, and on them we watch the greatest love story ever told--our own--play out. We can see it all: Hands held. Kisses planted on cheeks, on lips. And then dates, and then the date. Promises made. Promises kept. And the house, and the children. The undying love until the last breath.

But underneath it all lurks the fear each of us has: That love won't come. Or worse, that he will, and then something will happen that makes him declare the words every heart dreads:

"It's over. We are finished."

So we hover between faith and fear, holding onto hope that we will be satisfied but ravaged by fear that we will be left hurt and alone. As if love can cure us, make us alive and valuable and complete. As if "together" is a synonym for "happy."

As if love is found in a man.

Dear Girl, I have something to tell you:

Love was found in a Man.

And I didn't have to play it all out on my movie screen (which is alive and active), because I read it in His book and then I saw it in my own life.

Love came for me

He held my hurting hands in His.

He kissed me in welcome even when I betrayed Him.

He met me in every weakest moment, and every moment of joy.

And then the Day.

The Day of Promises Kept, Fulfilled, when He gave me the key to His house and the right to be one of His children.

The Day Undying Love, died.

And with His last breath, He declared it, the words my soul needs to hear every day:

"It is finished."

Not, "We are finished." But, "It is finished." The task is done, complete. He crashed through every barrier, conquered every demon standing between us, carried me out of my prison of sin.

The fight took His life. He loves me literally to death.

But Love is stronger than death, and to make me absolutely certain that His promise was true, He conquered death, too. We can be together forever now. Nothing can separate us. Love cured me. Made me alive. Called me valuable. Completed me. And together with Him, I have joy.

See, dear, dear Girl, Love has a name.

And that name is Jesus.

You may not believe that right now. You may hurt too much to accept that right now. And I know, He's not a man that you can touch and hold and lean into. He's better than that--He's a God who can live in you. And my prayer, for each dear girl reading this, is that someday, even if not today, you would open up your heart and let Him make His home.

Dear Girl, that's the good news I have for you, the promise that will not disappoint:

Love has come.

Comments

  1. This is so very beautiful. Thank you for speaking truth, your words are powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! They are His words, believe me. I can only write this with His inspiration, which, I feel certain, you understand ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts